Female Orphan School Precinct TourBy
Oct. 22, 2011
10:30 a.m. - noon
University of Western Sydney, Parramatta Campus
Female Orphan School
The Female Orphan School precinct is of outstanding cultural and historical significance.
As the first purpose built orphan school in the colony, it is a milestone in the establishment of Australian social welfare and education policies.
The original buildings, constructed between 1813 and 1818 are an example of Governor Macquarie's vision for development in the colony and the pretensions of architectural design in New South Wales.
The original Female Orphan School building is the oldest three storey building in Australia. The buildings and the garden setting are associated with Mrs Macquarie, Reverend Samuel Marsden, Francis Greenway and subsequent Colonial and Government Architects.
Visit the 2011 Sydney Architecture Festival website for more events.
Free, booking required